Central Consumer Protection Council:
1. The Central Consumer Protection Council is also known as “Central Council“.
2. Sections from 4 to 6 of Chapter-I! of the Act explain the provisions about the constitution, procedure and objects of the Central Council.
3. – The objects of the Central Council are to promote Consumer movement and to safe guard the consumer rights in the country. It is only a recommendatory body.
image source: pukcc.net
4. The decisions of the Central Council are only recommendatory in nature.
5. It is only purely admistrative authority, filled up by the non-official and official members, it. Functions as a Government department.
6. It has no appellate powers over the State Councils. It may receive any applications from the State Councils and consider its merits and demerits and may forward to the Central Government or to the Parliament. It has not possessed any implementing powers.
7. No working days and working hours are provided for Central Council in the Act. However, it shall conduct at least one meeting in a year.
National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission:
1. National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission is also known as “National Commission”.
2. Sections from 20 to 23 of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 explain provisions about the National Commission.
3. The objects of the National Commission are “to render legal remedies to the aggrieved consumers and to protect from exploitation and dangers.
4. The decisions of the National Commission have binding force throughout the country. They have the power of precedent and binding force on the lower courts, except Supreme Court. It is the highest judicial authority in the field of consumer disputes. The State Commissions and the District Consumer for a shall have to follow the decisions of the National Commission.
5. It is a quasi-judicial authority, filled by the judicial and non-official members. It functions as a court.
6. It is the highest authority in the Consumer Disputes Redressal Agencies. It can hear appeals from the District Consumer Forums and State Commissions. The violators of its decisions shall be punished under the contempt of court proceedings.
7. The National Commission shall have to work on all the working hours and working days as a Central Government Department Works.